Market Hall, Rotterdam
The Markthal in Rotterdam is one of the most spectacular buildings completed in 2014 worldwide. CNN included the Markthal in this year’s Top 10 of most ‘eye-popping’ buildings. The New York Times wrote an article on Rotterdam’s new eye catcher and the Rough Guide had included it in its latest edition well before it was actually completed.
The first big market hall in the Netherlands. The largest cablenet-facade of Europe. The world’s first indoor market hall with apartments above. How to make a spectacular design like this come true? Commissioned by Provast, Inbo joined MVRDV as co-architect in 2006 for the engineering and construction of the Markthal. Inbo’s engineers made the building buildable to the last detail, and coordinated the building to meet all requirements concerning e.g. fire safety, building physics, acoustics and security.
- Markthal Rotterdam wins a European Property Award 2015-2016
- Markthal wins a European Parking Award 2015
- Markthal Rotterdam wins NRW Jaarprijs 2015, a Dutch national award for the best retail building
- NEPROM price for location development in 2015
- Nominated Best Building of the Year 2015
- Kabelnetgevel Markthal wint Nationale Bouwprijs, 2015
- Markthal wins the World Architecture News (WAN) mixed use award, 2014
Project architect: Winy Maas
- Provast, Den Haag
- Gross floor area
- 100 permanent stalls, 4,900 sqm (food) shops, catering 1,600 sqm, 1,500 sqm supermarket, 1,200 parking spaces, 228 buy and rented apartments
- Wilco van Gils, Johan de Graaf, Stefan Gunther, Evert Wassink