Campina Milk factory, Hilversum
The Melkfabriek at the Larenseweg has originally been built between 1954 and 1956 and was commissioned by the ‘Verenigde Gooise Melkbedrijven’. The building was designed by the architects trio Breebaart, Martens & Kramer. Up to the end of 2005 the building served as a factory for dairy products. In close cooperation with the client Dudok Wonen and the consumers the Melkfabriek has been transformed into a durable living-, working- and learning environment for all ages.
With a special mix of users the characteristic factory building will also remain a vital part of the city in the future. The indoor milk street, where the milk in milk churns used to be delivered, has been restored and is now the backbone of the complex with entrances to the offices, houses and the school.
At the heart of the complex, accessible from the milk street, the large factory hall is situated underneath long concrete shell-roofs with skylights. This open space has been enlarged into the basement and transformed into a central communal space, surrounded by the entrances to the houses and workspaces. Client Dudok Wonen has established her own office in the Melkfabriek and chose to grant public access to the atrium. This way the impressive factory building with its characteristic fifties architecture is preserved as cultural heritage of Hilversum. It is great to see this project appreciated with two awards.
- Hilversumse Architectureprize for Melkfabriek, 2015 (both jury and public prize)
- Dudok Wonen, Hilversum
- Gross floor area
- 43 homes, primary school, kindergarten, nursery and two-storey underground car park
- André Kanters, Trude de Vroomen